Friday, November 23, 2007

God Glorified in Man's Dependence

"God is more glorified in the person of His son then He would have been in an unfallen world." - Charles Spurgeon

"God is glorified in the work of redemption in this, that there appears in it so absolute and universal a dependence of the redeemed on him." - Jonathan Edwards

"We are dependent on God's power through every step of our redemption. We are dependent on the power of God to convert us, and give faith in Jesus Christ, and the new nature." - Jonathan Edwards

"It is a more glorious work of power to rescue a soul out of the hands of the devil, and from the powers of darkness, and to bring it into a state of salvation, than to confer holiness where there was no prepossession or opposition...So it is a more glorious work of power to uphold a soul in a state of grace and holiness, and to carry it on till it is brought to glory, when there is so much sin remaining in the heart resisting, and Satan with all his might opposing, than it would have been to have kept man from falling at first, when Satan had nothing in man." - Jonathan Edwards

2 comments:

Matthew Snyder said...

Well, I've been hittin' up the minor prophets again. I think I really like Zechariah. A lot. The Gospels have been ringing different volumes in my ears lately, as well as some of Paul's letters, especially Romans.

On the other end...

"Secrets in the Dark" by Frederick Buechner. I highly recommend it.

Matthew Snyder said...

That sounds interesting, actually, but much too far about my intellect at the present moment.

Mr. Fred has rocked my world each time that I've picked him up to read it. I'll probably be blogging about one of the readings really soon.