Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Derek Webb and the Good News

After reading the 9marks blog I was inspired to post an excerpt from an entry entitled, "Derek Webb on the Gospel." Caedmons Call, of which Webb has played an intregal role has always been a great example of both good music and doctrinal meat.

I'll let 9marks take it from here:

"But signs of late, at least with Derek Webb, have not been as encouraging. In a podcast interview Derek recently did, the interview host asks him to succinctly define the gospel. Here's Derek's answer:
What a great question. I guess I’d probably…my instinct is to say that
it's Jesus coming, living, dying, and being resurrected and his inaugurating the
already and the not yet of all things being restored to himself…and that
happening by way of himself…the being made right of all things…that process both
beginning and being a reality in the lives and hearts of believers and yet a day
coming when it will be more fully realized. But the good news, the gospel,
the speaking of the good news, I would say is the news of hiHs kingdom coming the
inaugurating of his kingdom coming…that’s my instinct.

In response to this the host simply replied, "Good."

Hmm...Webb is usually pretty solid in his description and explanation of the Gospel. It seems odd (and sad) to me that in "succinctly" summarizing the Gospel that he could leave out such essentials as 1) Creation of man to live under God's loving rule; 2) Sin as rebellion against God's rule; 3) Judgment; 4) Penal Substitution; 5) Resurrection & Enthronement of Christ; 6) Response of Repentance & Faith.

2 comments:

Matthew Snyder said...

Seriously? Are you serious?
What did Jesus preach? What did he teach? What did he do to show us how to live out his message?
My friend, I think Webb's right on. But really, we should talk more about this because I've spent the summer thinking about it.

case.jess said...

I totally am. :)

If this had been the answer that someone had given during an interview I was conducting, it would have sparked at least two major lines of questioning.

1) Why did Jesus have to die?

2) Will EVERYONE receive the benefits of Jesus' death and resurrection?

Again, I would ask follow up questions until I had heard that salvation (a.k.a. the Kingdom of God not fully realized) is granted only to those who repent and believe.

Webb's statement of the gospel here is insufficient, in that it leaves out what is truly Good about the Good News. Of course, he's answering that question in the way alot of people these days are answering it. Webb's answer is very similar to what I've seen in alot of "emergent" books, most notably Brian McLaren. Which is why I posted this...because I have always loved Webb's style and music and serrated-edge theology... but in saying this, he seems more "cultural" than his normal "counter-cultural" position.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, Matt.