Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Bible Will Melt Your Face

Ponder God. Seriously.

When you consider the things God, as written in Holy Scripture, prepare to have your face melted away and your brain microwaved and served in middle school cafeteria. But never fear, the Bible teaches us to expect this. It teaches us that our familiar ways of seeing things will most certainly be replaced with the truth of God's Word. For example, it says,

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!" (Romans 11:33).

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:9).

The Bible not only blows my mind, it takes it to the farthest reaches of comprehension and annihilates it with the hot iron edge of the truth of the gospel. And what a grace it is to have your mind blown to bits by the Word of God. Praise be His glorious grace.

However, it’s so easy for me to reject biblical teaching because it seems and feels out of sync with my instinct or intuition for what is right or possible for God. And the danger is that I tend to shape Scripture to fit my feelings. I fear that this may be the case for many of us.

If you are like me, I encourage you this day to remember that in understanding the truth of the Scripture, any understanding we may gleam will come not due to human will or exertion, but through God, who has mercy. So lean into His grace as you pursue the truth of His Word.

No comments: